Friday, June 08, 2007

What's normal?

I was reading a thread the other day by someone, who was thrilled that she was "caught up" with her scrapping, and I felt sorry for her because to me that is just dull!
I scrap things as I get the mood to scrap them, that can mean Christmas pictures in June, Summer pictures in December, a masculine page followed by something in shocking pink. I also read a comment about someone who uses quick pages just to get the pictures scrapped, I think that's dull too. I love to rescrap the same picture with different kits, I love to play and create art, I enjoy the creative process. So I got to thinking if you take out the fun element, and make it just about getting the memories down on paper, is it still a hobby or does it become a duty?
Do you become the families memory keeper, legacy leaver, manager of the bank of memories?
I was also wondering whether they would mean as much to the future generations, if they are just pages to get the memory down does the heart and soul still show through? I make my pages from the heart, I try and journal so that the person reading it feels like I am talking to them. I don't scrap a massive number of pages anymore, and I get bored easily. I switch between projects and I am the first to hold my hands up and admit that I have more ideas than time/energy available to create them all. I love layered templates, but I disagree with the notion that they speed things up. I often spend three times as long on a template page as I used to on a page from scratch but I like these better. I think they take out the indecision I pick a template and then that's my starting point. The end result often looks nothing like the original template because I have added and removed until I have reached a point that pleases me.
I want every page to have a part of me in it, but am I abnormal for wanting to create art rather than a scrapbook full of quick pages? Tell me what you think about this do you scrap for the memory (preserving every single one you are able to) or do you scrap for the moment (scrapping whatever takes your fancy)?

No comments: