Monday, March 07, 2011

Pink Stinks


Pink Stinks, originally uploaded by Lukasmummy.

Credits: Layered template (CT Spotlight Template ) by bdances, Pink Ribbon (slightly recoloured) by Megan Farrow (Flergs) and I Love You Just A Little Bit by Jen C Designs. Font is Jellyka CuttyCupcakes.
Journalling reads: This is a letter that we received from your school after a 15 year old boy called Jake Spicer died. Before you were born I used to work with his Mummy. “Most of you will have heard the sad news of the death of Jake Spicer one of the bravest children I have ever met. When he was being treated for cancer he still came into school even after terrible chemotherapy treatments he even took part in the Christmas production. We feel honoured to have known such an inspirational and courageous human being. Our thoughts are with his friends and family. Jake’s family have asked everyone going to the funeral to wear pink. Not all our school can go to church of course but in his honour we are asking that every child and member of staff wears something pink to school. We are also collecting money to be given to the charity that Jake himself raised over £15000 for one to help others of course! If you would like to make a contribution, please send it into school in an envelope marked Jake.” Now here’s what Mummy posted on her blog afterwards “there is nothing Lukas hates more than the colour pink. I even bought him a pink T-shirt that I used to threaten to make him wear whenever he was naughty because I knew it was guaranteed to make him behave every single time. On our last trip to Chessington they had a T-shirt for his favourite ride, Bubbleworks on sale. I thought that since it was Bubbleworks he would overcome his hatred of the fact that it was bright pink. The morning he went to school he had the biggest meltdown I have ever seen. It started over the pink top because he didn’t want to wear it, he moved on to hysterical crying because he was scared that he was going to die too, he’s always been a little bit strange when it comes to people dying, it’s not really all that surprising after what happened with Leo that death would freak him out a little bit. But this wasn’t even anything I had ever seen from him before. Mark ended up having to drag him to school kicking, screaming and crying. It broke my heart to make him go there was a huge part of me who was tempted to just say let him stay home today but I knew that I couldn’t do that. I went with Mark to pick him up because I was worried about how he had been all day, he couldn’t stop talking about how the whole school had been outside in the playground to see the funeral procession go past. He was full of questions and a little confused by it all. He’s never seen a real coffin before, Leo’s was a teeny little white box and when he went to Yvonne’s funeral the coffin was under a covering, and at Lorraine and Mark’s Mum’s funerals everything was slightly different because they were being cremated. I also think since the school was talking about it he thought it was going to be a small coffin I don’t think he realised that Jake was 15. When we got home we thought he would be eager to take the pink T-shirt off but he surprised us by point blank refusing, I’m not entirely sure I understand his change of heart on it. I assume it’s because he saw everyone else at school wearing pink and wanted to be the same.” I can’t begin to tell you how proud I am that even though it was something you really want to do or enjoy doing, you did it anyway because it was important. 16th July 2009.

No comments: