Saturday, December 15, 2007

Been a really crappy day!

Nan had yet another doctor's appointment today, her leg is still no better and the doctor made the decision that she needed to be admitted to hospital for treatment. The doctor called the hospital and amazed Nan by saying that she was sending a patient up to them, explained the issues with Nan's leg and then casually remarked that she also had double pneumonia but they thought that was under control with the antibiotics she was already on. I meant to post the other day but I forgot on Nan's last trip to the doctors (wednesday if your wondering), they told her that she had pleurisy. The chest infection has been an ongoing thing for weeks yet even after I think 4 sets of x-rays no-one thought to tell her what the problem was. Much to her annoyance she packed her suitcase and got Lisa to take her up there. Mark had to go to work so I was left alone to explain to Lukas where Nan was. I didn't even think before I said she was in hospital,he burst into tears. I gave him a cuddle and asked why he was crying, he told me that "when people go to hospital they die like my Leo". My heart nearly broke hearing him say that he's 5 years old and he's got the idea in his head that everyone who goes into hospital doesn't come back. Now I am suddenly understanding his reluctance to go to sleep when Mark is at work - he thinks Mark's going to die and not come back. When I told him that Nan was in the hospital where Daddy worked his sobs eased off a bit. He managed to get out "that's better, daddy's hospital is good, daddy comes home" before he went upstairs to be on his own. I just don't know what to do when he comes out with things like this. He's my son through and through when something bothers him he retreats inside himself. He doesn't want to be talked to or hugged he just wants to be alone. He's also a lot stronger physically than I am and when he doesn't want to be hugged there's nothing I can do to change his mind. We were both shocked a couple of hours later when we heard the front door, wondering who the heck it was we wondered downstairs to see and saw Nan. Apparently the hospital was absolutely filthy and after taking some bloods, writing up a few prescriptions (to be collected tomorrow I think) they decided that the best course of treatment was to send her home and for her to go daily to the clinic for some treatment. Am I the only one who thinks this is absolutely crazy? They didn't give her any painkillers or anything, dumbasses told her to take asprin she's always been told previously that she can't take asprin, I think because it reacts badly with one of her other medications but I can't remember exactly. What they did do was cover her leg in vaseline, don't ask me why I haven't a clue, Nan said something about her skin being dry but who am I to try and understand the mystery that is modern medicine. Good job I didn't go to the hospital with her, I might have been inclined to point out that she was there for a severe infection in the vein, a possible thrombosis and that the dry skin was the least of her worries. I honestly can't believe how shitty she has been treated the 1st doctor she saw when this started talked to her like she was senile or something. Everyone seems to be of the opinion that because she's old it doesn't matter if they do nothing since she isn't going to live much longer anyway. It drives me insane. I refuse to go to the doctors with her anymore because I always feel inclined to punch the doctor for talking down to her like she's a toddler and slapping her for letting them get away with it. She's not exactly a shy retiring old dear, I honestly don't understand why in the prescence of a doctor she lets them treat her like crap and dismiss her without a second thought. *sigh* I could rant for hours about dumb doctors.Today I have a list of stuff a mile long to get done and I haven't been to bed because I am hurting bad. Sounds like it's going to be a productive day all around doesn't it between worrying about Nan, feeling crappy and trying not to bang Lukas and Mark's heads together when they start the inevitable weekend task of bickering with each other constantly about anything and everything.

5 comments:

. said...

Old people have been taught that docters know the best, they are like gods. I've seen this with my own grandparents. I hope your Nan will get better soon! Happy Christmas!

Petra said...

I hope she will feel and get better soon!! Doctors...really they're not always right and are so confusing you sometimes. About putting vaselin on her leg...that's a good thing though, might sounds weird and it's not what you want to see or help, but it does in some way relieve the pain...Don't waorry too much hun! Hugs!

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry! (((hugs))) I hope they get it figured out. I would want to smack someone too!

And you're poor little guy! I'm glad he saw that she came home though. Maybe that'll help him deal with hospitals better? I can completely understand his feelings!

Jeannette said...

It's amazing how little ones piece stories together and fill in the blanks. I hope things work out for Nan.

Unknown said...

Hope thinks improve for Nan. Hope your weekend improves too.