Friday, July 11, 2008

What a week!!

I really don't know where to start lol. Last Saturday we went to the school fete and despite the rain we had a lovely time. Between cake decorating (fairy cakes and assorted icings and decorations), games and various other things we were kept very busy. After a quick stop in the school cafe for hot drinks and cake we came home. Mark went to work, Lukas was complaining he didn't feel well (combination of being tired and having too many cakes lol) and I was planning on listening to some music to keep myself awake and catching up in some computer stuff. Well things never quite go to plan in this house do they. I came upstairs and Lukas wanted to watch cartoons so I opted for using my headphones to listen to my music. While I was happily singing along loudly Nan was downstairs. She decided that instead of sitting around she would take out the black sack of rubbish into the garden before she ran the hoover around. The bag was almost empty but she decided to put it out anyway since she had already taken it out of the bin. Somewhere between the doorstep, the outside step and the concrete she managed to fall. Obviously she started calling to me to come and help her but thanks to my headphones I was completely oblivious to it all. Luckily for her one of the neighbours and his wife heard her calling for help and rushed to help her. After negotiating with our very stubborn back gate they finally got into our garden to help her. She asked them to come and get me, so they called from the bottom of the stairs, "Crystal, your mum's fallen". To be fair when I heard them the first thing I thought was it was my step dad Karl, the next thing I thought was why are you telling me, I don't give a damn lol. Lucky for me common sense clicks in eventually and reminds me that Karl would have come straight upstairs because he's already seen the mess I live in and wouldn't care lol. I went flying down the stairs and nearly fell in the process. All of this had happened in the space of a few minutes, 10 at the most. When I went outside I saw Nan in a heap on the floor and I wondered how the hell I was going to get her up. She was refusing to let anyone but me touch her. Somehow I found the strength to lift her right up on the 1st attempt, don't ask me how I did it because I can honestly say I don't know. It was obvious to anyone with eyes that her arm was broken, so I called Lisa. Who didn't seem to grasp when I explained that Nan needed to go to the hospital. Nan called Lisa and seemed to have a bit more luck. Did I mention Lisa was in the middle of holding a BBQ lol. Eventually Lisa arrived with her friend in tow, and from the minute she walked in the door she was off. She decided that instead of asking how Nan was, or worrying about her she would throw a complete hissy fit at me and tell me exactly how useless, worthless and pointless of a human being I was. Sounds fun doesn't it lol. I was already feeling incredibly guilty that Nan had fallen while I was upstairs, but that's Lisa all over she seems to get some sort of pleasure out of making everyone feel bad. By the time she got here Nan was in too much pain to even attempt a trip to the hospital in a car, so we called an ambulance. Lisa had called Malcolm, apparently with the words "Mum's fallen, you will have to sort it I have people here" so he arrived just as the ambulance did. They decided that Malcolm would go with Nan, Lisa went back home with her friend and I was left to comfort a very hysterical Lukas, he thinks everyone who goes to hospital will die. Can't really blame him since almost every time anyone he knows has gone to hospital they haven't come back. I was able to reassure him with promises that Nan would be back later and she would be fine. He trusts me and he knows I would never lie to him. I managed to get hold of Mark at work and beg him to come home. When he got home he found me sat on the sofa, fast asleep holding the house phone and my mobile. He made me go straight to bed. I think at that point I had been up since about Thursday morning lol. When Nan got back I may have been asleep but Lukas wasn't he had waited up to make sure she came home. That was about 12 or 1am. I got woken up on Sunday morning at I think 5am. I had to help Nan do everything. She couldn't get up or down, or use the toilet on her own, couldn't dress herself or feed herself. Couldn't open jars or milk to make herself a coffee. It's not easy to watch such a proud woman suddenly becoming so helpless and dependant. It was made so much harder by all of my own medical issues, I am not exactly the most reliable source of help lol. I can barely take care of myself and Lukas let alone her as well. She told me all about what they had done. She had broken her arm very badly and apparently the bone had punctured her skin. She ended up having to have her arm manipulated back into position with the assistance of anaesthetic and gas and air, She had needed steri-strips on a cut on her arm and because of this they had needed to leave her temporary cast open, that was also supposed to help with the swelling. On Sunday morning she had to go back up to the hospital to have her cast completed with a fibre glass covering. Malcolm came back to get her and take her up to the hospital. When she came home they had done more x-rays and ended up adding a purple fibre glass cast to almost complete her cast. I am going to have to leave the week's adventures there for now. I have so much to do and so little time to do it, I am only able to use the computer at the moment while she lays down. The rest of my time I am spending doing everything she needs. I have become a pro at coffee making, washing dishes and various other things. Not bad for someone whose basically surviving on about 2/3 hours sleep a day at the moment. I am exhausted and there doesn't seem to really be an end in sight, she will be in plaster for a minimum of 6 weeks which is enough of a pain on it's own but she is still in incredible pain. Every movement leaves her almost crying in agony. There is lots more to tell you but she's just gotten up so I have to run, I will get back when I can and tell you all of the other details about this week, trust me this was nothing compared to how the rest of the week has gone. Every day has bought it's own different set of problems.

No comments: