Sunday, December 10, 2006

Wedding blues

What is it about weddings that makes everyone go crazy?
Why do family members believe it's necessary to invite cousins you have never met, distant family members that you don't remember meeting, or a better question still why do mothers think they can invite half the hall capacity of complete and utter strangers?
Which brings me to the best question of all - why didn't we just elope? lol
It seemed such a good idea at the time, your mum's sick, Nan won't be about much longer, it will be something for everyone to look forward to etc etc.
When we went and bought the engagement ring, we seem to have a kind of amnesia about what our families were like. You know how women hold their newborn and forget they were screaming obscenities 5 minutes before (no I am not talking about my labour lol). I think couples get engaged and in their minds their families are going to be thrilled and want to help out and its going to be so much fun.
You neglect to recall that my mother hates marks mother, and people will be interfering left right and centre. That you will have tonnes of stuff to plan and organize and only three months to do it in. You don't remember the horror of going dress shopping with said mother or the ordeal you will have telling her that actually you are going to invite your dad despite her "i'm not coming if you invite him".
The only good thing about a wedding is sometimes you can wing stuff and deal with the inevitable fall out at a later date by neglecting to mention certain things to my mother.
Like the fact that I have invited my dad, Ordered the wedding cake arrangement I wanted and best of all there's some things people will never need to know like the boots I will be wearing under my wedding dress. Oh I can just imagine the look of horror on my mum's face if she knew I was even remotely considering wearing anything other than horrid pinchy high heel things. Oh the knowledge that I have evaded that look just makes me smile lol
As you can see it's true what they say "simple things please simple minds" lol.

Maybe tomorrow I will manage an entry on here that is more than just a collection of mindless ramblings but I doubt it.

No comments: