Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Sorry for the delay

Fingers crossed we should get to exactly why there has been a delay with this post. When I last wrote I had gotten through Logan’s actual delivery and when we got to the hospital. You would be forgiven for thinking he’s a baby how much more can there really be to the story. But you would also be forgetting one thing, he’s one of my babies nothing is ever that simple where we are concerned lol. I am going to pick up where I left off and we will see how far I get. After they had finished stitching everything up they took Logan’s temperature and found it was a little on the low side. Even though he had been well wrapped up because he was small for dates it was a bit of a concern. The health care assistant who was looking after us was nice enough to go and find a little heat table thing for him to lay under while I went to have a shower and get cleaned up. She was also nice enough to sort out towels and some baby bath to wash with since Mark hadn’t thought to pack any. Logan got all stripped off and was in just his nappy, he looked adorable a bit like he was sunbathing. They showed me where the shower was and explained that I had to pee into a bedpan so they could measure the amount and make sure everything was working the way it should. No-one warned me exactly how much it was going to hurt! I don’t suppose still having such a severe urine infection helped much either lol. I’m sure you will get a little giggle out of the next bit, there was a stool in the shower and I was starting to feel a little shaky, since I was bleeding quite heavily I decided that it would be a good idea to sit on the stool on the sanitary towel. You may remember me saying before how quick my blood clots, well lets just say that isn’t exactly helpful when you have stitches. I turned on the shower and adjusted the temperature and then decided that the only way I was going to get cleaned up was to direct the shower at my stitches. Yes I do realise in hindsight that it was a stupid idea, and I am still very shocked I managed to resist the urge to shout or swear very loudly at my own stupidity. I don’t think it would have hurt so much if the water hadn’t decided that was a good time to suddenly get hotter. I really couldn’t tell you how I managed to finish showering and to dress myself and walk back to the room, I was shaking like crazy, feeling sick and starting to really feel dizzy. I was really glad to be able to get back on the bed to stop the room spinning a little. When I got back to the room Logan was done sunbathing and the health care assistant was busy redressing him so he could have his first food. She said the guidelines say it’s her responsibility to make sure he took 20-30mls of milk or a decent breastfeed because of his size. It was hard for me to sit and watch someone else feeding him his first feed, but I did understand why they had these rules. Since they couldn’t find any latex free teats she ended up feeding him with a syringe. He already had a great suck on him and was happily to suck on the syringe to get his milk out. I have to be honest and admit that the exact order things happened in from here is a bit of a blur (this is why I should have blogged this the day after). I know that he had some blood taken for his blood sugar to be checked and it was a little low but I can’t remember if that was before the doctors from SCBU came to check on him or after. I know they wanted to retest his blood sugar after he had been fed again and I know that the repeat test was within the usual limits. I remember that the SCBU doctor was called Claire and she checked him all over and took some blood and managed to convince us to give him vitamin K. I know that he had another feed via syringe and that another doctor came in and gave him the Vitamin K injection into his leg. We had a lot of cuddles and Mark called Nan a few times. It was kind of surreal to be sitting in delivery suite with a baby, we have never had that chance before. Eventually we were told we had to go up to level 5. I wasn’t too impressed that they made me sit in a wheelchair and be pushed upstairs. We were shown to our bed and they sorted out a cot for Logan. Then Mark went and phoned Nan again and told her which bay we were in, so she could come up with Lukas to see Logan. We were happy to just sit on the bed, take some photographs and wait for Nan to arrive and enjoy the time as a family. Then it was finally time for Lukas to meet Logan, he came in first followed by Nan,Lisa and Ella. I’ll admit that I was a bit disappointed that it wasn’t just Nan and Lukas I was expecting Lisa to maybe drop them up and wait outside so Lukas would have a chance to really meet his baby brother. It seemed a little unfair that after waiting so long for him to arrive he had to share his first meeting and watch as Ella held him as well. He was fine about it though, but I suppose I can’t help being a little sad that absolutely nothing had gone as we thought it would. We went and sat in the day area and they all played pass the baby. Lisa took some photos on her camera of Lukas, Ella and Nan having cuddles. Then it was time for everyone to leave, Mark went with them because he had to pick up a few things from home for Logan. We were supposed to be staying in overnight on the ward and there were quite a few things we hadn’t packed in his bag. To be fair we were kind of expecting him to have gone straight to SCBU and although it was a nice surprise to have him with us we weren’t exactly prepared for it. After they left I spent a little time redressing Logan in some different clothes and I got to feed him his first bottle. I can’t remember exactly when they did it but Logan had his blood sugar tested again pre-feed and it was really low and then post-feed and it had gone up again. They came over and said that SCBU wanted him to go downstairs for some blood tests. At first she was just going to take him but I insisted on going as well. I was feeling a little worried especially since Mark wasn’t back. I thought he might panic if he came back and found me and Logan gone with no explanation but I didn't have any choice. Unfortunately I am going to have to leave it there for now, I will be back as soon as I get time.

No comments: