Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Now for the gory bits

I left off last time just as Logan had been born in the back of the ambulance 2 minutes away from our house. I think I may have forgotten to mention the reason for the title of the previous post, the ambulance happened to be pulled up next to the postbox. I’m pretty sure Royal Mail would have refused to deliver our little bundle of joy though lol. Anyway after Logan was born and everyone was trying to get over the shock of his super quick delivery they were left with the problem of delivering the placenta. Almost straight after Logan was born the placenta started to be delivered, but apparently it didn’t appear to have all come out. The ambulance crew were hesitant as to whether they should try and deliver it or wait until we got to the hospital. They made a call to delivery suite for some advice and to say that the midwife they spoke to was unhelpful would be an understatement. They were told to call the community midwife and let her deal with it, they tried unsuccessfully to explain that wasn’t really an option since we were parked at the side of the road. They were then told to just leave it there, another option they were not really sure about since they were worried that the bumping from the ambulance could cause it to break apart the other option they were given before they had the phone slammed down on them was “just yank it out”. They decided to go with leaving it where it was, putting it in a sick bowl, covering it with a sheet and driving very slowly while hoping for the best. Logan was still perfectly content to lay on my chest and look around with one eye open. On the way to the hospital we had to answer all of the usual questions so they could fill out their forms, and chatting about various things. The ambulance lady who had delivered Logan was quite disappointed that he was a boy and we already had names picked out. She was kind of hoping we might want to name the baby after her since it was the first baby she had ever delivered. When we got to the hospital it had started to rain, they wrapped another blanket around me and Logan and started to wheel the bed down the ramp at the back of the ambulance. We almost had a slight accident because the bed wasn’t on the rails quite right and was very close to tipping over. There were people stood outside the entrance smoking as usual and they were all very interested to see them pushing us in with Logan. They wheeled the bed to delivery suite and a really nice health care assistant took him from me so he could be weighed and dressed. We ended up choosing a white vest, blue babygro and a little white cardigan for him from our bag and he already had on the little blue hat. While she was seeing to Logan a midwife came in to examine me. She was able to see that the placenta had come out in one piece, the reason it looked as though it hadn’t was because my blood clots really fast and had clotted around the placenta. She was able to remove it fully by separating the blood from the placenta. She did a lot of prodding and poking and said that I had a slight “graze” which she was unsure if it required stitching or not. She decided to clean everything up and then decide. They had a lot of fun trying to find sterile latex free gloves and then she poured something yellow onto a cloth to clean all the blood up. She was driving me slightly insane by continually asking if I wanted gas and air, I kept telling her no thank you and each time she just told me I was mad and then asked again. She decided that she was going to do some stitches and they had to go off and find all of the equipment that they needed for that. The whole time she was doing everything the student doctor from the ambulance had been in the room, getting an “anatomy lesson”. I felt really sorry for him because he looked like he was going to throw up everywhere. The next bit was quite amusing no-one could quite figure out how the stirrups worked on the bed, it took the midwife, Mark, the student doctor and the health care assistant to finally get them sorted. They raised the bed up and she inserted a tampon and then poured some lignocaine over it all before she started stitching. Obviously Lignocaine is another one of those drugs which doesn’t work on me because as she was stitching it all I could feel everything, let’s just say stitches hurt more than having the baby did lol. It’s a very odd kind off pain I think the only thing I can think of to compare it too is like a wasp sting, a very sharp pain followed by rapid swelling and a bruised feeling. The “slight graze” turned out to be a second degree tear and needed quite a few stitches, I am not entirely sure how many and I sort of lost track of the time but she seemed to take a really long time getting done. The poor student doctor was stood there watching it all and the ambulance crew came back in to drop off the papers and ended up staying to watch it all since they had never seen it done before. While she was stitching everything she found something that seemed to worry her and as soon as she was done stitching everything she went off to get a doctor to come and look at it. She came back with a male doctor who decided that it looked like a cyst of some kind to him, he left instructions that it was to be checked at my 6 week check and then left. It was only then that I was finally released from the stirrups and everyone left us alone for a little while. I am going to leave it there for tonight as I really need to get to bed, that’s pretty much all of Logan’s entrance to the world, but there’s still quite a bit more to his birth story that will have to wait for another day, hopefully it won’t take me a week to get back and write the next bit for you.

1 comment:

Cristina said...

What a special delivery indeed! :) You went through quite an adventure, but you made me laugh when you said the ambulance lady was disappointed because she was hoping for a girl to be named after her!! :D Hugs!